[Dixielandjazz] Free upgraded "Panama" lead sheet

Scott Anthony santh at comcast.net
Tue Nov 17 08:29:47 PST 2009

> My one major discovery is that many records insert a solo strain
> with the chord pattern
> (In Ab) Db///   ////   Ab///   ////,  Eb7///   ////   Ab///   ////
> [repeat the 8 bars]
> (sometimes it's in Eb)
> I inserted the chords for that strain into the upgraded sheet as an
> option.

I think it is the Mugsy Spanier recording that uses the above strain for
almost all its solos and the normal solo chorus hardly at all if ever. I
can't seem to find the recording, so I can't check.

Turk used the strain at least once in the tune whenever I heard him play it.
We do it too, but just one time through after all the solos and just before
the out-choruses (www.santhony.com/ggrm/bigmachine.html - click on the tune
in the Flash player to listen).

Scott Anthony
Golden Gate Rhythm Machine