[Dixielandjazz] Thinking About Bix

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sun Nov 15 15:22:35 PST 2009

The comment about the Hyman CD titled "Thinking About Bix" reminds me of something that I have thought a lot about.

What really brings it to mind is that I attended my nephew's 25th wedding anniversary party last night.  They had a DJ, not hired, but a friend of theirs.

Some of the Rock music that was played was absolutely incomprehensible.  Gawd awful stuff.

I am not talking about groups such as the Beatles that at least were recorded well and had a recognizable tune.  I'm talking about some of this Grunge crap that really is just noise.

The point I am getting at is, what if Bix suddenly came back to life and heard that (so-called) music.  It is so far removed from what he played, and I'm sure removed from what he heard in his mind, that I am wondering if he would even classify it as music.

I suspect that with his advanced comprehension of chord structure, he would like a lot of the more modern Jazz bands.  But, what would he think of something such as Grunge?

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
rsr at ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
916/806-9551

****please help stop SPAM by removing all email addresses before forwarding & using
"blind copy" (bcc) when emailing multiple recipients.  Thanks!

Check out our latest recording at www.ringwald.com/recordings.htm

I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately
 clear your computer history if you die.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4610 (20091115) __________

http://www.eset.com