[Dixielandjazz] Thinking About Bix

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Sun Nov 15 13:39:00 PST 2009

Hi All,

I've just received an outstanding CD called "Thinking about Bix" by Dick Hyman  on Reference Records RR-116 and, for anyone unfamiliar with this record, I can recommend it unreservedly. It comprises 16 titles by or associated with Bix (including his 4 piano compositions) plus Hyman' s own piece "Thinking about Bix", which is a little gem. Hyman is in immaculate form throughout, the engineering and presentation are top-class, but the thing that really makes it for me is his knowledge of, and obvious affection for, Beiderbecke's music. The historical references (usually Bix's solos) are impeccable and are seamlessly incorporated into Hyman's own improvisations, which is a difficult feat to pull off without the joins showing.

Highly recommended (and I've got no connection to or financial interest in Reference Records).

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson