[Dixielandjazz] Young OKOM Bands

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 12 08:55:58 PST 2009

Being an "older" musician who employs mostly older OKOMers, like many
on the DJML, I sometimes get discouraged when looking for gigs. (even
though I get a lot of them) It becomes easy to think something like:
"Shoot, young folks just don't like this music any more, stupid idiots."

Then I met Drew Nugent, 23 years old, who leads an OKOM band, playing
mostly Fats Waller songs. His band, except for me, or Dan Levinson, or
Marty Grosz, who sometime play in the band as sidemen is all young
players. He gets lots of gigs in places with young audiences who love
the music that he presents.

Yesterday he booked 12 gigs for the rest of November and early
December at an old speakeasy in Bethlehem PA. Pays pretty good too.
Young audience there loves the music. He did a "trial" gig there last
Saturday to great success. The joint is just like a 52nd Street club
of the 1940s.

I'm going in for Dental Surgery and so I can't do the November gigs.
And my December gig book is pretty full too.  Rats.

Finally figured it out. When you are 60+, (or 70+ in my case), you
can't get work in the day job arena because you are "too old". The
musical arena is no different. It is not that there is no young
audience, it is that we are "too old" to be hired unless we find a way
to capitalize on our ages. We are "too old" to even know where to look
to find these "paying" young audience gigs. There is a huge young
peoples club scene out there.

All I can say is, find a young band leader and become the "Old Pro"
sideman in his band. IIt is lots of fun and pays well. Just ask Ed
Polcer who busks with a young band in NYC 6 days a week. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband