[Dixielandjazz] Memorable solos

Ken Gates kwg28 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 11 21:19:33 PST 2009

Question for performance level musicians--

Occasionally you will play a solo that you are particularly proud of.
It may or may not receive an appropriate audience response, but you
and the band members recognize it as being among your best efforts.

Here's the question.  Thinking of the occasions that qualify, were most
of the tunes in the simple or complex category?  By simple, I mean the
chord structure was sparse and with routine changes.  By complex, I
mean lots of chord changes, and/or the changes a bit unconventional.

Seems to me that while a simple tune is easy to take an adequate solo,
finding quite a few unusual, yet pleasing notes can make it memorable.
A complex song, with all the opportunities for a note that doesn't quite
fit, requires creativity to find just a few out of the ordinary notes to make
it memorable.

Hoping the question makes some sense.  Defining a tune as either simple
or complex may be troublesome.

Ken Gates