[Dixielandjazz] Brecker and Breakfinger

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 11 14:21:01 PST 2009

Since our leader has mentioned the Breckers

I do remember Randy Brecker, terrific trumpeter, at a time when Mike was still flourishing the sole Brecker in an ensemble which gave me a strange dream.
I kept seeing Randy trying to get to the front past a bass-and-bassist-shaped wall.
The misguided young plucker put up so many notes that there was very little room for Randy to find notes to play. As he proceeded in this compulsory duet option after option was plucked away from him, given that he would never land on a note which didn't swing.
Polyphony? That bassist was a monologist.
Forget the breakfinger reference in the subject-line, just an expression of discomfort -- I'd have preferred a milder something to stop that proliferation of notes  plucking everything up. A finger-restrainer perhaps?  Maybe he could have been forced to crochet in his spare time, to reduce unwarranted and otherwise uncontrollable facility.
Forget the accordion, a gentleman is a bass-player who despite any technical capacity or digital facility could never give in to de-swinging pluckhorrhea when sharing a bandstand.