[Dixielandjazz] King Porter Stomp - was Free Jazz and its New Orleans Jazz Roots

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Mon Nov 9 16:10:53 PST 2009

Hello Bill, Jack and Mike

There is not necessarily a contradiction between JRM's claim of a 1905
composition date for King Porter Stomp and a later naming of it. Morton
had a habit of renaming compositions - eg, Soap Suds became Fickle Fay
Creep and London Blues became Shoe Shiners Drag.

Morton's first recording of King Porter Stomp (for Gennett, 17 July
1923) is called King Portor (sic).

All the best,
Anton