[Dixielandjazz] Warming up

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun Nov 8 14:32:38 PST 2009

Bob Ringwald wrote:
>Why can't a horn player go into the restroom, outside, green room, or
somewhere else to warm up?

You're entirely correct, Bob.

Bob continues:
>And why can't they warm up with a mute in the horn?

Under extreme circumstances one could warm up with a mute, or even just
buzzing the mouthpiece.  The mute will give you an incorrect resistance to
the airflow, and does not help in preparing one's chops for a gig. It fact
it will probably be detremental. The mouthpiece alone would be a better
mode, and blowing warm air through the horn.

Worse yet, however, is the brass man that doesn't warm up at all.  If the
first tune is a hot one, don't count on hearing any decent notes until after
the first chorus!

Some bands like to start a set with a "warm up" tune...medium & not too
stressful.  Teddy Buckner used to always do that, and even announce it as
such at the end of the song.  I find, though, that the first tune can sort
of "set the mood" for the whole set, and prefer going in hot & hard. But,
that's just a personal thing of mine.  May not work for everyone.

Jim

Jim