[Dixielandjazz] FW: Hypothetical question

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Nov 5 18:44:57 PST 2009

> Ken, I believe anyone who might have a general "spark" about them will
> improve the overall band, no matter what the instrument.

Many of you have seen the movie "The Gig".  In the movie a great bass player
is brought into the band and improves the group but I still hold with
replacing the drummer.

Also I agree with the others that if you bring in a really good player he
will soon become frustrated with the others.

There is one Dixie band in St. Louis that I won't go near because of
multiple problems in the group.  The most glaring of which is a trumpet
player who leads the band and who doesn't seem to think that there's
anything wrong with coming in on measure three and a half of a four bar
intro.  A lot of times he likes to come in on bar five just for variety.
The tuba player thinks loudly passing gas is really cool and the piano
player is a total drunk.  Yet they still get gigs??????  One would cry out
in the night WHY!!!!
Larry
StL