[Dixielandjazz] Opers and amps

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Thu Nov 5 13:11:54 PST 2009

I'm not fond of over-amplification either.  If you have to rely upon
electricity you can be at a disadvantage too.  I was playing with one band
that did not have any electric instruments except piano.  However this
particular gig, there was a decently in tune box so we were using it.  Part
way through the evening the electricity all over town went out.  We just
kept playing.  The staff put candles out on the table and the audience loved
it.  Some people did ask us how we could play without electricity though.
They just could not imagine it even when presented with it right before
their eyes and ears.

Ron L