[Dixielandjazz] Hypothetical Question

James O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Tue Nov 3 22:40:07 PST 2009

Steve Barbone wrote:

> IMO, two good horn players in the front line can cover for a bad
third
> one, ....

I'm not sure I'd agree with that...  Two good front line players
may distract some of the audience from what the third one is
doing, but it won't fool any good listener who knows what to
listen for.

> ...but that is not true in the rhythm section.
> Bad chords, or bad bass notes, or a dragging drummer will bring
the
> whole band down.

Just as a rushing drummer will end up making the tune sound
rushed, or will, in some cases, cause the band to finish every
tune at the same tempo, regardless of the starting tempo.

Similarly, a drummer who plays too loud will make it difficult or
impossible for the rest of the band to play softly. In my
experience, a too-loud drummer results in unpleasant tone quality
and questionable intonation, because the front line ends up
playing far too loud just to hear themselves and each other.

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers
Tuba, Jelly Roll Jazz Band