[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Function

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 13:39:16 PST 2009

Probably as many stories as there are jazz fans!
When I was 12 or 13, Dad took me to a quiz show.  I still remember a
joke or two, but what mainly caught my attention was the music: they
had the Jan Cajmer (pronounced Yan Tsaimer) Orchestra, which played
swing.  Wow!  Until then, despite music education at school, where
they brought artists once a month to play, I had never HEARD music: it
came in via one ear, and got out via the other one, without leaving
impression; I could not tell the national anthem from The
International (both were played daily at the morning parade).  And now
there was music that caught my ear; something to listen to, not for
the words but for the music itself; I've reamined a jazz fan ever
since.
Cheers