[Dixielandjazz] More on Pee Wee Russell

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri May 29 11:31:17 PDT 2009

:
> One of the neat things about Pee Wee Russell is that he kept experimenting
> with jazz. Like playing with Monk at The Newport Jazz Festival. He had a lot
> more to say than most of us.

Amen.  He certainly had.

> He put out an album called "Ask Me Now", released in 1965, that had two of
> Monk's tunes in it. The title track, "Ask Me Now" and Monk's rework of Lady
> be good, called "Hackensack". If you can access Rhapsody, you can hear all
> of the songs on this album at:
>
> http://www.rhapsody.com/pee-wee-russell/ask-me-now
>
> It will surprise you. Be sure to listen to "Some Other Blues" as well as
> "Ask Me Now" and "Licorice Stick". Pee wee swings with boppish flavor.

In my humble opinion, on that album, as well as on The Spirit of '67,
where he plays with a band arranged by Oliver Nelson, Pee Wee is Pee
Wee.  That was my first impression, and it has only been reinforced
over the years.  But the "Asl Me Now" album, more than anything else,
brought him critical acclaim, and brought to his nomination as the
best clarinet player of the year in Down Beat's critics poll.

Pee Wee was unique.  By the way, my favourite Russell Album is the one
with Red Allen, The College Concert (another Impulse) - two absolutely
unique artists performing together (they had an earlier encounter -
with the Rhythm Makers).  A wonderful album!  Red Allen was
appropriately described as a "minority of one" in the liner notes to
the double CD album "Swing Trumpet Kings," and the avant garde (refuge
of the untalented?) trumpeter Don Ellis wrote (in Down Beat) that "Red
Allen was the most avant garde trumpet player in New York," adding
that he did all that within the context of traditional jazz!

 > genius and well before his time.

Every original, be it in arts or science, is "well before his (her)
time - they, after all, pave the way for others.

As Gerry Mulligan once said about him,
> "Harmonically, he is way ahead of me."
>
> When you listen to a lot of Pee Wee Russell, you can clearly hear where
> Kenny Davern was coming from.  Especially on "Prelude to a Kiss" on this
> album. Similar note choice, similar feel, similar soul.

The clarinettist who perhaps came closer to Russell was the British
Archie Semple; at least - the closest I've heard (when Semple was at
his best, of course).

 Cheers,

Marek