[Dixielandjazz] More on Pee Wee Russell

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri May 29 10:36:52 PDT 2009

One of the neat things about Pee Wee Russell is that he kept
experimenting with jazz. Like playing with Monk at The Newport Jazz
Festival. He had a lot more to say than most of us.

He put out an album called "Ask Me Now", released in 1965, that had
two of Monk's tunes in it. The title track, "Ask Me Now" and Monk's
rework of Lady be good, called "Hackensack". If you can access
Rhapsody, you can hear all of the songs on this album at:

http://www.rhapsody.com/pee-wee-russell/ask-me-now

It will surprise you. Be sure to listen to "Some Other Blues" as well
as "Ask Me Now" and "Licorice Stick". Pee wee swings with boppish
flavor. And his ensemble work is, as usual, superb whether or not you
like the style.

He had his off days, like any of us. Especially if he had been
drinking too much of his gin and milk concoction. And after his wife
died, he sunk into a deeply depressed state. However, I'm with those
who believe that he was a genius and well before his time. As Gerry
Mulligan once said about him, "Harmonically, he is way ahead of me."

When you listen to a lot of Pee Wee Russell, you can clearly hear
where Kenny Davern was coming from.  Especially on "Prelude to a Kiss"
on this album. Similar note choice, similar feel, similar soul.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband