[Dixielandjazz] Sac Jazz Jubilee - only five OKOM bands?? - RIDICULOUS misperception

Don Robertson jdrobertson at att.net
Tue May 26 09:10:53 PDT 2009

Musically we enjoyed our one day at the Jubilee (oops I mean FESTIVAL).
Some of the venues left something to be desired.
In "Betty's Bistro" (a portion of the main floor of the convention
center) they have succeeded in replicating the old RV Pavilion at Cal
Expo, the previous venue from hell.  (Think "LIVE" room with hard floor
and high ceiling).  I guess our ears compensated for the "bright" sound
and we enjoyed the Reynolds Brothers' Rhythm Rascals (minus Ralf for the
first few tunes as his plane was late).

We too enjoyed Royal Society Friday afternoon at the Yolo Room.
Unfortunately there seemed to be no one in charge of the sound system,
and we heard way too much piano.  By the time Night Blooming Jazzmen,
showed up at 7 PM, some of the band members figured it out and got it
pretty much right.  Golden Gate Rhythm sounded great.

The first set at the Sheraton Grand Nave, the Benny Goodman Centennial
had some admitted equipment problems, but sounded OK to me.  I saw Mad
Dog helping out there.

There was plenty of good music for us.  Unfortunately we were only able
to be there on Friday.

Don Robertson
Napa, CA