[Dixielandjazz] Young OKOM Bands

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri May 22 11:16:50 PDT 2009

In addition to Loose Marbles, Tuba Todd, Baby Soda, there is one in
Northampton Massachusetts called Primate Fiasco, See their website at:

http://www.primatefiasco.com/   Then click on it to enter, get news
about them and hear mp3s.

or go to their myspace page at:

http://www.myspace.com/primatefiasco  Listen to Sweet Georgia Brown

I suspect that there are lots more of these young bands turning on the
kids and dancers in their local areas. For the most part, they are
doing it on their own.

There is also 23 year old Dixieland Drew Nugent in the Philadelphia
area. Jim Fryer and I played a swing dance in Pottstown PA with his
band a few weeks ago. See:

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/musician.php?id=17820

Oh to be a kid again and going out among kids playing this music. We
old folks could learn a lot from these young bands about how to get a
young audience. <grin>

Would they play festivals? Maybe not. Some of them they earn almost
double the usual festival set price (in an hour which equals a set) by
busking in neat places.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband