[Dixielandjazz] Sal Pace Recordings

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu May 21 09:15:43 PDT 2009

On May 21, 2009, at 10:10 AM, Marek Boym wrote: (in Answer to my
question what ever happened to Dixieland trombonist Lee Giofford?

> I have never heard of Lee Gifford.

Not many people have. He played at Nick's in the 1950s/early 60s.
Primarily with the Billy Maxted Bands that played there. He was a very
high energy young player who, when he got up into the trumpet range on
trombone, was a huge favorite of the audience at Nick's. He recorded
with Maxted a few times.

He was an innovator and some traddies did not like the way he played
because he did not play the traditional Ory lines, but rather took
those tailgate slurs up into the highest ranges of the trombone. His
solos were very energetic and those few of us who saw/heard/or played
with him, never forgot that experience. He played the upper reaches of
the horn and had tremendous volume and energy.

Last I heard, he had given up playing and gone into a day gig in
sales. (early 1960s) He indicated that he was going to do so on a gig
we played together in a Garden City Club on Long Island.

Does anyone know what happened to him?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband