[Dixielandjazz] Sal Pace Recordings

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed May 20 18:40:19 PDT 2009

Marek wrote about a recording with clarinetist Sal Pace.

Dear Marek:

I know that Sal Pace recorded with Erwin on the Cadence label as
follows.

CLP -1011 - Pee Wee Erwin at the Grandview Inn - 1956. Also on that
album were Andy Russo TB; Billy Maxted PNO;
Charlie Traeger DBL BS; Tony Spargo DMS. Songs were Peter and The
Wolf, Big Nkloise From Winnetka, Whistler and His Dog, Tea For Two,
Parade of the Wooden Soldiers, After You've Gone, Little Rock Getaway,
American Patrol

He is also on these:

CLP -1012 - Jazz At Nick's - Billy Maxted and his Manhattan Jazz Band
- Maxted plus Pace;  Chuck Forsyth TP; Lee Gifford TB;  Charlie
Traeger DBL BS; Sonny Igoe DMS. Washington and Lee Swing, Ja Da,
Panama, Swinging Rose of Texas, Satanic Blues, Battle Hymn of the
Republic, Just Hot.

CLP -1013 - Dixieland Manhattan Style - Billy Maxted and I think, same
personnel as above. - At The Jazz Band Ball, Basin Sttreet Blues,
Crash From China, Muskrat Ramble, I've Found a New Baby, Yankee Doodle
Dixie, Black and Blue, Hindustan.

 From that Erwin album, Charlie Traeger is still alive, retired in the
Catskill Mountains of NY State.  From the Maxted albums, does anyone
know what ever happened to Lee Gifford? He was one hell of a trombone
player. The year before Nick's folded, I worked some gigs with him and
Traeger. Just talked with Traeger recently and he doesn't know what
happen to, or where Gifford went after 1963 or so either.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband