[Dixielandjazz] Al Hirt

Dick Sleeman dick at sleeman.nl
Fri May 15 03:50:00 PDT 2009

Jim wrote a.o.:

> I never heard any pros or cons about Al Hirt, as he is not at all known in
> Europe, at least not in Spain.  These arguments only came to light once I
> joined DJML.
>
> I first heard his Audio Fidelity recordings, and another yellow covered
> one
> with Pete fountain & Bob Havens in the late 50's/early '60's.

I'd like to chime in with pros about Al Hirt.

When I began to play the trombone, I 'discovered' Al when people started
to hint at me to listen to records with Abe Lincoln, another underrated and
"... not at all known in Europe ..." jazz musician. So I heard Matty
Matlock's Paduca Parade, The Rampart Street Paraders, Bobby Hackett's
Coast Concert and Pete Fountain's All Stars with Al Hirt (later, post
"Java", re-issued as the Al Hirt All Stars). I was impressed by his
musicianship, not to mention his 'iron lip' (Al's I mean - my admiration
of Abe is another story :-))

Regards,

Dick Sleeman