[Dixielandjazz] Al Hirt

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Fri May 15 02:30:36 PDT 2009

I normally hate it when someone posts a message to DJML and just says, "I
agree."

But with this post from Jim Kash, I can not add anything to it.  All I can
say is "I agree."

I guess I can add something.

It seems to me that when a musician has total control of his instrument, is
a beautiful player, someone always wants to put him down because he isn't
limited by lack of technique as so many of the older Trad musicians were.

I don't mean to put them down as they were the pioneers of Jazz.  Just as no
one thought that the 4-minute mile would be broken, and of course it was,
the musicians coming along have the benefit of the musicians that came
before.

In my book, there is room for everyone.  Al Hirt was a great player.

--Bob Ringwald