[Dixielandjazz] Bud Shank's last thoughts? & Art Hodes

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Fri May 15 02:17:34 PDT 2009

 > Linda Shank, Bud's widow, made the below public. A month after his
 > death, she found the below, handwritten on a few pieces of paper. She
 > thinks they were written about a week before he passed. They are
unedited.

 > HOW I AM FACING THE CODA - OR AM I
 >
 > by Bud Shank

Hi Steve,
Thanks for posting that. Very moving.
The thing is he was not giving up. Talking about improving is piano etc.
Reminds me of Art Hodes. Exactly 20 years ago I was in the middle of the
Legends of American Dixieland Tour with Wild Bill and Art. An 83 year
old and an 85 year old, driving miles in a band wagon and doing what
they had to do - play - create.
Someone asked Art why he was still playing at his age. He said, "Because
I have to". He didn't mean for money reasons. He also stated he still
had things to say.

Duke said, 'Music is my Mistress'.
So the lesson frorm Hodes and Shank is no matter how old or ill, keep
striving and don't give up.
Cheers
John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com