[Dixielandjazz] Buddy Rich

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Thu May 14 19:23:11 PDT 2009

Eupher Dude waits for someone to say how nice Buddy Rich was:

We had a musician here in Sacramento who's step daughter was married to
Buddy Rich.  His name was Johnny Brazil and he was a real character, playing
several different instruments.

The set of drums   he used were given to him by Buddy.

Buddy's band came through Sacramento one night, probably sometime in the
late 60s or early 70s.  They played a club on Fulton Avenue called the
Tropicana.  We went with Johnny to see the band.

During the concert, while Buddy was taking a solo, some guy in the audience
yelled something like Go Buddy.

I'm sure Buddy was waiting for someone to do that so he could enhance his
bad guy rep.

Buddy stopped, stared the guy down.  I can't remember everything he said to
the guy but it was not very nice.  And I remember he offered to go outside
with the guy.

Later, after the concert, Johnny introduced me to Buddy.  He was very nice
to me.

That is the extent of my first hand knowledge of Buddy Rich.

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
rsr at ringwald.com
530/642-9551
916/806-9551 Cell
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band

Hear our latest CD at:
www.fultonstreetjazz.com/music.htm

Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich
countries to rich people in poor countries.
 - Douglas Casey, Classmate of Bill Clinton at Georgetown University.