[Dixielandjazz] Decline in pay

PHIL WILKING philwilking at bellsouth.net
Mon May 4 19:43:30 PDT 2009

Whether it's true or not, I do not know; I certainly am not going to
participate in any such scheme.

I have been told there are now saloons where the management wants to hire
musicians on a contingency basis. No, not to play for the gate. This scheme
is that the musicians should sit around the joint - OFF the clock - and then
play if enough customers come in to make it worth while for them to get on
the bandstand. Pay: $5 a set, IF you play.

My reaction when I heard about this was to wonder: if you asked very nicely,
would they let you clean the lavatories too?

Phil Wilking

The New Orleans Banjo Rendez-Vous
May 14, 15, & 16, 2009
Visit www.nolabanjo.com for info