[Dixielandjazz] Purchasing Power Calculator

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon May 4 18:31:20 PDT 2009

In 1952, the prevailing wage for a sideman at Jimmy Ryan's was $125 a
week. What would that be in today's dollars? To find out, go to:

http://www.buyupside.com/calculators/purchasepowerjan08.htm

Wow, today that $125 has the purchasing power of $989.15. Anyone make
that at a jazz club these days?

How about single date gigs. Lets see, in 1960 I worked with both
Coleman Hawkins and Roy Eldridge on several gigs on Long Island. They
got $100, I got $50.

Today we'd get $708.45 and $354.22.  Yeah, right. I know guys that
worked singles for $50 or $75 in 2008. What would that have been in
1960? Yep, a great $7.06, or $10.59.

Shoot, even a hack like me got at least $25 for a single back then.
Scale on Long Island was $16 a night for a steady gig, one night a
week, or more.

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?

Have fun with the calculator. <grin>

Cheers,