[Dixielandjazz] Vale Pat Wade.

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri May 1 18:27:10 PDT 2009

Dear friends,
It is with a sad sense of loss that I have to report the death
yesterday of my friend, Pat Wade-Brown (guitarist, singer, banjoist
and bass player) in Sydney, NSW Australia.
Although Pat had been unwell for several years ,his passing as his
wife Betty told me "was a little quicker than we thought, but he went
very peacefully."
London-born (21 November 1926), Pat was well known on the British Trad
Jazz scene during the 1950s as a member of the popular Cy Laurie Band,
Diz Disley's Soho String Quartet and Ken Sims Vintage Jazz Band among
others and led his own groups.
Apart from music, Pat also served worldwide as a seaman, lived and
worked as a guitar soloist on the Spanish island, Ibiza (1964-66) and
worked for four years in cruise ship bands for P&O during the late
1960s which introduced him to Sydney, where he settled permanently in
1972.
He almost immediately joined the local jazz scene and, over many
years, worked and recorded regularly with various bands including the
Ray Price Quintet, Nat Oliver's Jazz Band, Tim Brown-Allan English
Quartet, Mike Hallam's Hot Six, the Tom Baker Swing Street Orchestra,
the Eclipse Alley Five, Ian Cooper's group, singer Nancy Stewart, the
Cafe Society Orchestra, Jiri's Hot Dixie Flyers and toured Australia
and New Zealand for concerts, gigs and festivals plus television and
recording work. In later years Pat escaped southern Australia's winter
climes and worked as a singer-soloist in Cairns, North Queensland
until forced into musical retirement due to ill health.
The funeral details are yet unknown.
Very kind regards,
Bill.