[Dixielandjazz] Edmond Hall

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri May 1 14:33:38 PDT 2009

Hello folks,
I've just heard (not for the first, second or fifteenth time) Edmond
Hall's Blue Note recordings.  How lovely!  And original, but Edmond
Hall hardly ever was not!  These sessions might even be better than
his 1958-59 quartet, quintet, sextet and septet sessions!

Edmond Hall certainly was under-recorded; yes, there are quite a few
records around, but some much lesser musicians have recorded much
more.  Just listen to the Ralph Sutton Quarter recordings from the
Hangover Club!  Or the other Blue Note sessions that benefited from
his playing.  To me, other than the very early ones and the "Play W.C.
Handy sessions, the best Louis Armstrong All Stars recordings were
those with Hall, but that might be just my personal preference.

What a great musician!

Cheers