[Dixielandjazz] The other blues and amplfied music

Kent Murdick kmurdick at jaguar1.usouthal.edu
Mon Mar 30 08:08:24 PDT 2009

Most people refer to the "other" blues as the "I've Got Rhythm"
changes, but I believe that in Trad jazz it's the Bill Bailey changes.
I was in New Orleans on Saturday with duaghter visiting Loyola U. and
saw a parade in the Quarter that had three brass bands.  All were
playing different tunes but the changes were Bill Bailey.

At a Loyola reception there was a very good student jazz trio: tenor
sax, drums and acoustic (thank God) bass.  They used no amplification
and were able to cover a very large hall.  Somthing to think about the
next time you throw that amp in the car.  Do you really need it?  When
in doubt, leave it home, IMO.