[Dixielandjazz] Musicians Card Information - "Jazz Etymology"

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 27 13:27:48 PDT 2009

Sheik wrote:

"I'm not surprised that they (N.O. musicians) frequently omitted jazz,
because most of our favorite bands did play music for all occasions.
Jazz was probably just one of the musics they played."

Dear Sheik:

Hear, hear. I just looked at about 100 jazz musician's cards that I
have and just about all of them simply say the guys name, and what
instrument he plays. Some add "all styles", some add "music for all
occasions"and some add "instruction".

Band leader cards usually state the name of the band, like "Ed Wise,
and his New Orleans Jazz Band" or mine, but most of us also have a
card like mine that simple says, Steve Barbone, Clarinet, or John
Wilder, "Concert Quality Banjo and Piano Stylings". His adds "Custom
Show Band Back Up Charts" and "Shows - Concerts - Dixieland - Big Band".

BTW if there is any interest left in the etymology of "Jazz" as a
word, who, when, where, how. Comprehensive list of theories, see:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=First+Use+of+word+%22Jazz%22+in+New+Orleans&btnG=Google+Search

Then click on:   "The Jazz cadence of American Culture - Google Book
Result"

Then wait for the summary to load, scroll up to the first page of
Chapter 1 "Jazz" - The Word,  and start reading. You can then read 26
pages which gives a pretty complete history of the various theories
about the how the word "jazz" developed. Then, take your choice.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband