[Dixielandjazz] Struck by a chord

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 27 07:21:13 PDT 2009

Larry Walton wrote (polite snip excerpts)

"One of the most technically gifted sax players I know blows so many
notes that don't seem to go anywhere . . . this is the guy that
everyone goes WOW over. . . to my ear anyway, (it) doesn't seem to
hang together. . . The band leader who is a wonderful player himself,
privately agrees with me byut as long as this guy is available he will
keep hiring him . . . Go figure."

Dear Larry & Listmates:

Reminds me of what Miles Davis told Saxophonist Dave Liebman. As you
know, DL is a master player and when he first joined Miles in one of
Miles's most popular bands, he played his usual rapid fire note style.
Miles, was playing few notes, leaving lots of space by contrast. The
audiences flocked to see this band.

Liebman, unsure in the beginning of how he should play in the group,
asked Davis about whether he should tone down his note production in
order to blend more harmoniously with what Miles was doing.
"(expletive deleted)" NO, said Miles. "The audience likes to see your
fingers move fast."

IMO, Miles was no dummy when it came to pleasing his vast audience. He
knew what they wanted and gave it to them without compromising his own
artistic integrity. Heck, whether we like it or not as individuals, he
changed the direction of the music about 6 or 7 times while
maintaining audience adulation.

That's how he got to drive Ferraris and Lamborghinis. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband