[Dixielandjazz] Struck by a comment

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 27 06:56:19 PDT 2009

Larry Walton wrote:

The other day I heard a sax player on the radio. Unfortunately I
didn't catch who was playing but he was playing a very nice solo that
combined both vertical chord lick styling with a very melodic
horizontal line.  It was something that a person could relate to and
even go away whistling the line. I liked what he did very much.

One of the most technically gifted sax players that I know blows so many
notes that don't seem to go anywhere.  Everyone is correct but just,
to my
ear anyway, doesn't hang together at all.  Yet this is the guy that
everyone
goes WOW over.  As I said he is the most technically advanced player
that I
know but his solos are less interesting to me than listening to someone
practice a Rubank book.  Every time I here him play I go away
scratching my
head wondering just what went by.  If this guy is leaving me cold I can
guarantee that he's leaving a lot of other people at the post.

Another thing I think that the Bebop sort of playing just doesn't make
it
when it goes out of the style.  Who in their right mind wants to hear a
Bebop solo in the middle of a cool Bossa.

The band leader who is a wonderful player himself, privately, agrees
with me
but as long as this guy is available he will keep hiring him for the
lead
part.  Go figure.