[Dixielandjazz] Struck By A Comment

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Mar 26 14:08:35 PDT 2009

The other day I heard a sax player on the radio. Unfortunately I didn't
catch who was playing but he was playing a very nice solo that combined both
vertical chord lick styling with a very melodic horizontal line.  It was
something that a person could relate to and even go away whistling the line.
I liked what he did very much.

One of the most technically gifted sax players that I know blows so many
notes that don't seem to go anywhere.  Everyone is correct but just, to my
ear anyway, doesn't hang together at all.  Yet this is the guy that everyone
goes WOW over.  As I said he is the most technically advanced player that I
know but his solos are less interesting to me than listening to someone
practice a Rubank book.  Every time I here him play I go away scratching my
head wondering just what went by.  If this guy is leaving me cold I can
guarantee that he's leaving a lot of other people at the post.

Another thing I think that the Bebop sort of playing just doesn't make it
when it goes out of the style.  Who in their right mind wants to hear a
Bebop solo in the middle of a cool Bossa.

The band leader who is a wonderful player himself, privately, agrees with me
but as long as this guy is available he will keep hiring him for the lead
part.  Go figure.
Larry
STL