[Dixielandjazz] Jazz; what's in a name

TBW504 at aol.com TBW504 at aol.com
Thu Mar 26 11:39:49 PDT 2009

Just inside the Jazz Museum at the old US Mint in New Orleans - at least
before Katrina - there was a collection of musicians' business cards, donated by
Al Rose I believe. Very few mentioned the word jazz. Most specified "Music
for  all occasions." It seems to me that the dubious aspects of the supposed
meanings  of the word jazz were utilised for some cheap publicity; not a million
miles  away from the "Laughin' Louie" pronunciation of the Armstrong name when
everyone  back home knew him as Louis (Lewis) - it sold better.
Brian Wood