[Dixielandjazz] Some new OKOM in OZ.

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sun Mar 15 09:31:29 PDT 2009

Hi all,

Just found this little PR story, I am listening to Michael McQuaid's
band on MySpace right now - pretty hot! (wouldn't exactly call it
"Frisco Jazz" but maybe this ensemble is different.)

http://www.thedaily.com.au/news/2009/mar/14/east-coast-frisco-band-deliver-great-jazz/
> East coast frisco band to deliver great jazz
> 6:00a.m. 14th March 2009
>
> If you haven't caught up with the Noosa Jazz Club, head along next
> Saturday for a great night out.
> Big dance floors and a budget bar are the features most clubbers
> find irresistible.
> Patrons are welcome to bring some nibblies or attack one of the pies
> available from the bar.
> The jazz style you will hear was made popular in Australia by Frank
> Johnson in the '50s and Tom Baker in the '80s and is now played by
> The East Coast Frisco Band: Ian Smith trumpet, Michael McQuaid
> clarinet, John Braben trumpet, Mike Hawthorn trombone, Jo Bloomfield
> piano, John Withers banjo, Richard Stevens sousaphone and Ben
> Elliott drums.
> Catch this great lineup at the Bicentennial Hall in Sunshine Beach
> from 7.30pm. Call 5447 2229.

http://www.myspace.com/redhotrhythmakers  ( very much like RSJO - and
that is a good thing!)

Dave Richoux