[Dixielandjazz] Clark Terry

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 08:05:31 PST 2009

On 03/03/2009, ROBERT R. CALDER <serapion at btinternet.com> wrote:
> I owe Marek a response to a mail which my computer seems to have eaten --  but he needn't feel ashamed at liking Clark Terry,

I don't, really.  If I had, I'd not have admitted my admiration for
Terry, whom I've heard live quite a few times (Nice, France; The
Hague, The Netherlands).  Still, I'm not too crazy for his bop
playing, and I still don't like the 1949 Basie Combo with Terry and
Buddy de Franco, which, with few exceptions, I find boppish and
lifeless.  Might it be pre-Duke and post-Duke?

 . To judge from Dewey Jackson on the Don Ewell gig taped by Bob Koester

Haven't yet heard that one.

> Hardly surprising that Clark made such sweet music with Mr. Traditionalism Revisited Brookmeyer (beloved of Roy Williams) especially with Roger Kellaway playing stride piano, before non-musical problems separated the hornmen.

Still have to hear that one, although I have rwo Terry-Brookmeyer LP s.

Cheers