[Dixielandjazz] FW: Prettiest melody contest

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Mar 2 13:03:50 PST 2009

Ken Gates said:
>Did we ever have nominations for prettiest melody in OKOM?
If anyone is interested, here are my three nominations---

......and, one of his nominations was "New Orleans"

I agree that it is a great melody...one of the best, but I have also heard
from those that go ape over chord progressions, that New Orleans is
exceptional.  So, is it tops in melody & chord progressions, thereby
covering both sides of the coin?

And, was the melody or chord progression written first?  Was the creation
the chords with the melody laid over the top, or was it the melody first
with the chords accompanying it?

Jim