[Dixielandjazz] Old Guy musician still has "it". Revisited

Robert Newman bobngaye at surewest.net
Sun Mar 1 14:51:59 PST 2009

Diann -- Why don't you give a plug to Frank Thompson, the piano player with the Bilmar Suncoast band?    He's also an old-timer (out of New York) and used to play in the Catskills with cats including PeeWee Russell.  Frank's a good friend of mine.    Also, when I sat in with that band at the Bilmar on one night  many years ago, the trumpet player was Al Davis, who had been with Benny Goodman and recorded with BG in 1941.  You can find Davis in BG ON THE RECORD pages 305 to 325.   Incidentally, Paul O'Connor was also Bob Draga's trombonist in his Garden Avenue Seven.

Bob Newman