[Dixielandjazz] The Dixieland Band

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jun 30 15:29:22 PDT 2009

John Palmer wrote [in part]:
> Help!
> For the last couple of weeks the band has received a request for the
> tune "The Dixieland Band" by Benny Hanigen.
> I've searched all my fake books with no luck.
> Any help I can get will be appreciated.

Dear John,
It's in Anderson, which I do not have.
But a kind listmate will probably send it to you.
I'll attach an mp3 of the Benny Goodman version (arranged by Deane
Kincaide) recorded in New York for Victor on 4 April 10935.
The vocalist is Helen Ward.
(Unfortunately DJMLers will not get the attachment.)
I've transcribed the lyrics below from this Benny Goodman version.
I also have it by Bob Crosby, Bing Crosby, Teresa Brewer, Kaye Starr
and from an Eddie Condon broadcast with Helen Ward.
Very kind regards,
Bill.

"The Dixieland Band" (1935. Bernie Hanighen, music - Johnny Mercer,
lyrics)

D’ya ever hear the story of the dixieland band?

Let me tell you brother that the music was grand

They had piano and the clarinet

Only thing they needed was a second cornet.

And that's what led to the ruin

- the ruin of the dixieland band.

When the folks would holler for the Maple Leaf Rag.

They would get to swingin' but the trumpet would drag.

They had to keep him 'cause he played so sweet

But they needed someone who could give them the beat

Someone who swung with the rhythm

- the rhythm of the dixieland band.

He played so sweetly

  [soloist plays sweetly]

Instead of playing

  [band plays hot]

He played so sweetly

  [soloist soloist plays sweetly]

They’d be playing

  [band plays hot]

Sure enough he got ‘em so they couldn't play right

Finally he fixed ‘em on a Saturday night.

He hit a note that was off the chord

Apoplexy got ‘em and they went to the Lord

And that is the pitiful story

- the story of the dixieland band.

Now they're up in heaven and they’re happy at last

'cause they found a trumpet man who really could blast.

The way he swings it is an awful shame

He can really do it - Gabriel is his name.

And now folks here is a sample

Listen to the dixieland band.

[band chorus]

If you hear a trumpet start to play

Don't be afraid that it's the judgment day.

It's just Gabriel a'soundin’ his A

And the dixieland band, is a fixin' to play

  [band takes it out]