[Dixielandjazz] Reserving the right to learn less.

BillSargentDrums at aol.com BillSargentDrums at aol.com
Sat Jun 27 08:52:09 PDT 2009

Q: You started playing down in New Orleans...

A:...when I was 5 years old, and then I moved to the Berklee School in
Boston when I was about 20.

Q: How did that influence you?

A: The simple answer is I was exposed to a variety of different styles,
but it goes much deeper than that.
You see, people in New Orleans pride  themselves on the authenticity of
their music. "If you gonna play it, son, then  you oughtta play it the way it
was meant to be played."

It's kind of the concept of what my father once called "reserving the
right to learn less." Sometimes New Orleans musicians – deeply though I love
them – have made a style out of embracing limitation.

Once I hit Berklee and discovered so many other musical influences, I
bought into the idea people should learn different musical styles like they
learn different languages.

Yes, you'll always be an American speaking French, for example, and  your
American approach would be instantly recognizable in all settings, but you
would have the added gift of a whole different vocabulary.

THIS IS FROM AN INTERVIEW WITH BRANFORD MARSALIS AT:

http://www.thestar.com/article/656763

Helping musicians and music lovers capitalize on the current and coming
economic crisis,

Bill
The Solutions Company
414-302-0234