[Dixielandjazz] FW: Michael Jackson mania on the BBC

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Jun 26 06:02:19 PDT 2009

John wrote:
>.......the confidence trick of rock and pop would be exposed for the sham
that it is....

After having read the rest of your post, John (& I won't repeat it all here,
as others will too have read it already), I think maybe one point is being
missed.

Times change, music changes with the times.  Add to that the phenomena of
video to go with the music, and you get a whole new type of artist.  I, too,
lament somewhat the advent of the video with music as the music is most
often assigned second chair to the visual aspect.
Nevertheless, it is with us, and that's it.

In my work (both as an engineer & as a session musician) I've worked with
all types of music from religious to folk to rock to pop to jazz to
classical to contemporary.  I've appreciated each form when it has been well
performed & recorded.

Any other approach to music will only leave one being frustrated & upset.

Jim
P.s. I had to go to the red button on my Sky News tv remote & look at the
headlines on their "active" page to find out about what else happened today
in the news, so we do agree to the point that broadcasters are going a bit
overboard on this subject.   :>