[Dixielandjazz] This for Tim Laughlin

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Thu Jun 25 13:32:33 PDT 2009

Tim, I had an earlier release about the Roosevelt and the Blue Room
reopening, and happy to hear it. That they are booking some N.O. mode
music in the small rooms is happy news indeed.

Jean and I were married in N.O.in '55 while I was with the Ted Weems
Orch. and we were marrieed in the Epsicopal Church on Canal St. across
from theVieux Carre'. Having a Monday night off, we had our wedding
dinner in the Blue Room. Ted Weems gave the bride away, the gal singer
Bonnie Lee Shaw (who latter married Diamond Jim Moran's son) was
brodes'm maid and the band members were guewsts at the wedding and
reception.
Nights late after work were spent on Bourbon St. with Santo Piccara at
the Door, and at other active jazz places large and small (with Freddie
Kohlaman's band at Sid DaVilla's Mardi Gras lounge. Ten years later I
was working with Freddie in the house band at Chicago's Jazz Ltd.). I
recall the oldandvenerable Papa Celewstine, an really old man then,with
his thin, reedy sound but true N.O. historiy in his frail body.

So to Tim, 'break a leg' my friend, and have a Ramos gin fizz for me. It
is a good day for jazz in a setting where is will be appreciated. Class
location for a class player. May the run be long and successful.

Don Ingle (and Jean) who will celebrate 54 years this November. That
N.O. gumbo makes good glue (and the po' boys ain't bad either.)

Don Ingle