[Dixielandjazz] UK and July 4 -- GRAB YOUR MUSKETS!

Judy Eames jude at judyeames.co.uk
Thu Jun 25 03:07:49 PDT 2009

pj.ladd wrote:
> substituting Our Kingdom Shines Brightly" for "America Shines Bright" >>
>
> C`mon Will,
> you have already pinched God Save the Queen`, let it go...let it go
>
> Pat

A big difference (one of many :-) ) between the US and the England part
of the UK  is that we just don't "do" conspicuous patriotism.  I thank
Will for his kind offer but anything I sang would have to be overladen
with irony.  Singing the National Anthem at the end of public
performances went out years ago because so many people were crushed in
the stampede to get out before it started.  :-) So unlike the US where
spontaneous renditions of "God Bless America" have everybody on their
feet but nobody would dream of leaving.  Vive les differences, they're
what makes the world such an interesting and bewildering place.

As for the intra UK  fighting .... it's a bit like families...... you
can slag your brother off but outsiders beware!

XX Jude..... mostly English, part Welsh, part Irish (but Northern
Ireland so  might originally have been  Scottish.)