[Dixielandjazz] Some strangely enjoyable music-Charlie Suhor writes

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Wed Jun 24 12:35:42 PDT 2009

Norm,

That is a rotary valve Flugelhorn or trumpet - in common use in Europe
for well over 100 years. You might see them in some American symphonic
orchestras, but much more likely in German style (polka) or Balkan
brass bands.

There are a full range of horns in this style - I have a tiny pocket
flugle, a Bass Trumpet and several "regular" size trumpets in my
collection. They don't sound much different than piston valve trumpets
(except for a bit of linkage clatter ;-)

Dave RIchoux