[Dixielandjazz] Censorship

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Jun 24 01:32:24 PDT 2009

>Last year the airport required that we submit our set list ahead of time.
John Mumford

Those that know that I have lived in Madrid, Spain for 44 years may do the
math & realize that I was here during the Franco dictatorship.

I played nitely from midnite to 4am in a jazz club that had no name over a
dark door.  (Nevertheless, it was jam packed 7 nites a week.)  When our band
played public functions, the police would ask me to write down everything I
planned to say, and the words to all the songs I would sing.  Good thing
they didn't understand English, as the words to When the Saints could
probably be construed as inciting...."Oh, I want to be in that number", etc.

There was an upside to all of that control, of course, that people never
think about.  It was completely safe anywhere, anytime, on the streets!

Jim