[Dixielandjazz] C & W and other stuff

Tony Pringle tonypringle at comcast.net
Tue Jun 23 17:34:54 PDT 2009

Hi,

The Black Eagles recorded a gospel/spirituals CD and it was our best
seller for years.

On tour with the Albion JB the other year Mike Fay and I decided that
after pop there were three other successful music styles - Gospel, Blues
and Country. On that tour the Albion played Blue Eyes Crying In The
Rain, Cold Cold Heart and some other C & W and they were well recieved.
In fact Louis Armstrong recorded Cold Cold Heart and was not averse to
stepping outside the strict OKOM style.

Years ago, back in Liverpool, when I had my first band. We were all 16,
17 and 18 and were dedicated to the George Lewis sound. Our clarinetist
was 16 and sounded like Lewis on the Bunk Victor sides. So we knew what
we wanted to sound like, but our trombone would bring boxed 78 sets
loaned to him by an uncle. We got to listen to Gerry Mulligan with Chet
Baker - My Funny Valentine, etc, an LP with Buck Clayton with only one
track on one side was a special favourite, Eddie Condon jam sessions and
even some stuff by Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker. It wasn't what we
wanted to play, but we certainly dug it.

The Black Eagles have just recorded a Blues CD. So now we have done
Gospel and Blues, but I think C & W might be a harder sell. I'll just
have to learn some tunes and sneak them into the repertoire.

Cheers,

Tony Pringle
New Black Eagle Jazz Band

"There's two kinds of music, Good music and Bad Music" - Louis Armstrong
(paraprased from a faulty memory)