[Dixielandjazz] Paul Desmond / Frankie Trumbauer / Dixieland

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Tue Jun 23 16:42:44 PDT 2009

Hi Steve et al,

Tram was also an early influence on Buddy Tate, who told me once about his walking into a swanky whites-only hotel in Texas when he was a teenager and engaging Tram in conversation about saxophones. It was only when Buddy was older that he realised he might have got in serious trouble for "crossing the line", but I suspect that Buddy as a teenager, was just as amiable and charming as he was in later life, so he'd get away with it, even in Texas.

While we're on about Desmond and Dixieland, Gerry Mulligan always claimed that he was really a Dixieland player at heart and that's one assertion that I could definitely believe. I think he would have been a natural in the style of Ernie Caceres (now there's an unsung hero).

Regards,

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk