[Dixielandjazz] ASCAP strikes again - our steady gig is in jeopardy

Dave Gravatt dave at creolejazz.com
Tue Jun 23 10:11:16 PDT 2009

Hey, gang. Looking for some advice regarding ASCAP. They've discovered our band is playing every week and have contacted the establishment and are attempting to extort funds. The restaurant doesn't want to pay it (I don't know how much yet), and we're getting fired unless we say we're playing only music that is "public domain".

I know this has been debated numerous times through the years here but what is the latest thinking on what is public domain? Music written before what year? If I have to say we're not playing anything written after 1925, for example, I will.

Any help appreciated.

Dave