[Dixielandjazz] Brubeck in Oakland

Randy Fendrick jfendrick at bak.rr.com
Mon Jun 22 20:31:06 PDT 2009

Wasn't Desmond and Brubeck in the Army together during WW II, but
Desmond wouldn't hire Brubeck because he couldn't read music and it
was only later, in the real late forties, when Desmond started hanging
around and asking for a gig that they were able to hook up.  That was
the story I heard.  Read the book West Coast Jazz by Ted Gioia for
further details.
Great book, lost of insight
later,
rf