[Dixielandjazz] Little Willie's Blues - Lyrics

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jun 21 16:14:29 PDT 2009

Kevin Yeates wrote:
> I am putting together and arrangement of Little Willie [no 's Kevin]
> Blues and see from the Anderson Fakebook that there are lyrics. The
> only recording I have of it has no singing.  www.redhotjazz.com
> didn't have a recording with lyrics.  Does anyone have the lyrics?

Dear Kevin,
The answer, I suggest, is that there are none. Notwithstanding an
error in some discographies that the composer, trumpet player Jabbo
Smith, is the vocalist on the original recording by his Rhythm Aces,
made for Brunswick on 22 Feb 1929.
All other recordings of "Little Willie Blues" date from 1955 starting
with the revivalist version by the Australian group, the Paramount
Jazz Band.
Jabbo recorded it with the Hot Antic Jazz Band in March 1982 while in
Europe and I am sure that if it had lyrics he (also a singer) would
have sung them.
The other recordings of the tune made during the 70s, 80s and 90s do
not contain lyrics. [I have details.]
Except one: The Swedish group Scaniazz on a Stomp Off LP (SOS 1056)
with Paul Strandberg (c,vcl) Arne Hojberg (tb) Jan Nilsson (cl/as)
Bjorn Ekman (bj) Stefan Karfve (tu), recorded in Copenhagen, Denmark
on January 9, 1982.
I do not have this, but I am sure a DJMLer will. (Bob Smith in Arctic-
land?)
If so, please advise if there are words used. Or is it, as I suspect,
a scat vocal?
Very kind regards,
Bill