[Dixielandjazz] Caesarea Jazz Festival (was Brubeck is not jazz.)

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 15:56:51 PDT 2009

Anybody not interested in the Brubeck dispute should scroll down for
impressions of the festival.

> Brubeck bland? You must be joking again.

Not at all.

> > > I think just about everyone else in the world calls it jazz.
> > >

> > Isn't EVERYONE rather a lot of people?  I hark back to the mouldy old
> > days when "jazz" fans just rejected anything "modern."  Well, at least
> > by assocoation (by the time I discovered jazz, the worst part of the
> > war was over).  Besides, have you ever heard of "brainwashing?"  I
> > srongly recommend Orwell's "1984" on this subject.
> >

> You seem ignorant of the fact that JAZZ WAS MODERN MUSIC when it first
> attracted fans.

I know that.  So?
We've been through all that before.  Why repeat the same argument?

When you "discovered" it 40 years later, it was pop music.

I "discovered" it at around 12, when the Communist authorities allowed
playing jazz in public.  It was "pop" then, true, but, in Poland in
those days, and even in Israel (I came here in 1957), "jazz" included
not only trad and swing, but also rock and roll, the so-called "modern
jazz" (ie. - Brubeck, Miles Davis, MJQ, etc.), and any rhythmic
western music (all Latin American rhythms other than tango).

> It had changed radically from Bolden to Whiteman to Nicksieland to bop, etc.
> Then as it kept progressing,

Progtressing or regressing?  Newer things are not necessarily
progress; just think of the Middle Ages!

> to shackle the rest of us with rigid ideas about what is jazz, and what is
> not. Who can play it and who cannot. What instruments must be used and what
> must not. Etc., etc., etc. That my  friend is attempted brainwashing by
> ideologues. It is what you and a few other jazz reactionaries seek to do. It
> is time for you, and others to give the music back to the musicians and stop
> trying to impose your personal standards on those who create.
>Please
> re-read 1984 and realize the message is for you  and others who seek to
> proselytize cult beliefs about jazz.

I don't care what you play.  I just oppse the newspeak.

> > I don't wish to go back to the "cool" vs. "hot" dispute.
> >

> What does that have to do with it? Do you purposely ignore the "hot" aspects
> of Brubeck's music, or is it that you are totally unaware of it?

Have heard his "Hot and Cool."

 it.

> Yes, opinions are like rectums. Everyone has one. But for you to espouse the
> opinion that neither Desmond nor Morello are jazz musicians is absolutely
> astounding, as well as baseless.

A matter of opinion.  As I've said, it's a free world.

> > And waht a beautiful sunset!
> >

> Enjoy the festival; and the sunset.

Unfortunately, it's over.  It was the Chris Barber Big Band last
night. Some excellent Ellingtonia, even if I liked the small band
numbers the most.  I did nor know the brass (other than Barber, of
course), but the reed section (I knew all members, and had heard the
excellent Ziltan Sagy in person), + Barber and Dave Green (bass) was a
guarantee of quality.

John Coccuzzi joined Swing de Gitanes again for the late night
session, this time on snare drum.

And Roni Freund, one of the guitarist with the full lineup ( for the
festival, the band had the same lineu as the original Quintette de Hot
Club de France), was wearing tails and a bow tie, and tap dance shoes
- very fitting.   This guy can out a song through, has great sense of
rhytm, and his tap dancing is beautiful.

I'm already looking forward to next year!

Ms. Nava Pasternak, the musical director, should again be
congratulated for excellent choice!

And the sound, a subject often discussed on this list, was wonderful,
both on the main stage and the Promenade stage.

Frogs and  crickets, however, did not swing!  But they did not really
detract from our enjoyment.