[Dixielandjazz] Protected CD's and DVD's

Steve slholzer at iquest.net
Thu Jun 18 07:06:06 PDT 2009

M J (Mike) Logsdon wrote:
>> A knotty problem.
>
> Not at all.  Copies for purely personal use have always been
> considered acceptable, if not by the letter of the law, but "the law"
> was never going to slap you with a fine for listening to a copy in
> your car stereo.
>
> Would the industry ever have allowed the creation and commercial sale
> of blank magnetic tape if this were not the case?

Actually, I think the industry did try to put strings of various kinds
on the manufacturers of blank tape and recording devices. As was almost
inevitable, they could not have their way without unfairly overburdening
legitimate users of blank tape who were _not _copying protected
material. Thus it comes back to the knotty problem of today -- how does
the copyright owner protect his interest when infringement by the
average man is both cheaply and easily accomplished and difficult to
punish. It is a poor answer that he must rely on the good conscience of
the average man, but if that _is_ the answer then we ought each of us to
try and stay within the bounds of fair use.

Steve Holzer